I managed to get two pumpkins out of my garden this year. Since I wasn’t home for Halloween I didn’t get the chance to carve them. So I decided to do the next best thing: pumpkin cookies! This recipe is really yummy, I hope you like it.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 cup puréed pumpkin (fresh and roasted in oven if possible)
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar cane
- 1 chia egg (3 tbsp ground chia seeds + 5 tbsp water)
- 1 flax egg (3 tbsp ground flax seeds + 5 tbsp water)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate (cut into chunks)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, beat the shortening, chia/flax eggs and sugar. Stir in the pumpkin and vanilla. Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Mix well and stir in the chocolate chunks and pumpkin seeds.
Roll into golf ball size balls and bake for roughly 15 minutes.
Yields about 30 cookies.