These brownies are the essence of chewy goodness. That is all.
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- 2 chia eggs (4 tbsp chia seeds + 8 tsp water, let gel for 5 minutes)
- 1/4 cup vegan buttermilk (1/4 cup filtered coconut milk + 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp hearts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or GF alternative
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven at 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, beat the chia eggs, sugar, shortening/oil, banana and vanilla. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl. Add the buttermilk slowly all the while stirring the mixture. Once well combined, fold in the hemp hearts and cranberries.
Bake in a greased brownie dish for 35 minutes.
Yields a dozen brownies.